The Washington Post reported today that Governor Larry Hogan wrote in Ronald Reagan instead of voting for anyone alive…or actually a candidate.
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said he “voted for Ronald Reagan” in this year’s election, writing in the name of the late president and conservative icon after concluding that he could support neither President Trump nor Democratic nominee Joe Biden.Turned off by Trump, Maryland’s GOP governor casts write-in vote for Ronald Reagan
Several local and state politicians were critical of the move, as well as residents. State Delegate Vaughn Stewart rightly called out Ronald Reagan’s history as destructive:
Delegate Eric Luedtke likened Hogan’s performative ballot write-in to a vote for Trump:
The Post’s report also noted that Hogan considers Ronald Reagan a political hero:
Hogan, 64, called Reagan “my hero in politics” alongside his late father, Larry Hogan Sr., whom he wrote in for president in 2016 after deciding that he could not support Trump or then-Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.Turned off by Trump, Maryland’s GOP governor casts write-in vote for Ronald Reagan
Let’s take a look at some of the things that Reagan stood for:
- Tax cuts for the rich
- Cutting social safety nets
- Increasing military spending
- Deregulation of markets
- The murder of hundreds of thousands of gay men in the United States, millions throughout the world, during the AIDS epidemic
- Expanding the war on drugs which started the mass incarceration of Black Americans
- The invasion of several Latin American countries under the banner of “anti-communism” (El Salvador, Honduras, and Guatemala)
If Reagan is Hogan’s political hero then you’d think he would also really love Donald Trump who has basically the same policies as Reagan.